Re: cohousing financial records and accounting
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 05:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 6, 2017, at 2:46 PM, mr-personal <r3vm53 [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Out of my current interests and background in economics, I am seeking
> examples of how cohousing entities are arranging their general financial
> record keeping and reporting.

It would be interesting to look at how much each community spends per adult
resident. I think that would give the best comparison. By household isn’t
because each one is different. The main difference will be between communities
that only have the CH as a common expense — the lot/single house model vs the
attached dwellings where all expenses are common.

 We hire a management company to manage our finances and always have. I don’t
think it is necessary at all and believe we would do a better job. There is
still a lot of oversight and correction of accounting on our part. It’s like
doing your taxes. The major task is collecting all the receipts and sorting
them out. For most of us there is no point in then hiring someone to fill in
forms. Accountants could hand them to their secretaries to fill out after all
that work is done. Particularly with automatic withdrawals for utilities, etc,
much of the monthly check writing is done.

The guidance from a CPA for non-profits is to have two people (at least)
involved in the books — one who handles the bills and payments, and the other
who does the accounting and bank stuff. Transparency is the best policing you
can find. We circulate monthly statements.

 We’ve had four management companies and we’ve had many problems. They have
lost bills and forgotten to remind us when a credit card changes to make those
changes everyplace that we use the card. Online services don’t send bills, for
example. Once our utilities were almost turned off because the company had lost
the bills and didn’t notice that the account for utilities was behind in the
monthly reports. Another time when our common internet service went down, our
in-house techs spent two days looking for the problem in 2 modems, several
networked routers etc. We had no internet service. Finally the techs discovered
that the bills hadn’t been paid so service had been turned off. The electric
gate was covered by a quarterly contract but we couldn’t get the person to come
out automatically because he wasn’t being paid promptly.

One of the big tasks in most condos is tracking monthly fees — late and no
payments. We have had almost no households in arrears. I’m assuming other
communities are the same.  I can remember only two instances in 17 years. I
don’t know about all of them but have been on the board for about half of those
years. If there are more it would probably be another 2-3. One was because the
person had been paying the previous years fee and had to catch up. Another had
lost a job. Non-profits are a major source of employment in DC and they took a
big hit in the housing bust—lowering salaries across the board, cutting staff
and programs, or closing down altogether. Since we have had others who have
lost jobs, they may also have gotten behind. But basically this is NO problem
and no reason to hire a management company.

Do look at Freshbooks. It is much easier to use than Quickbooks. It’s only 3-4
years old so it doesn’t have the baggage of Quickbooks and doesn’t use all the
historical arcane language of accounting. It was developed as an online service
so it doesn’t have all the baggage (like Microsoft) of maintaining practices
from 30 years ago. Freshbooks isn’t hugely expensive and support is very good.
Much cheaper than a management company or accountant. Support staff understands
and speaks normal language. And it is a pleasing design. And it can import
Quckbooks accounts. Some people use both and integrate accounts. (Accountants
like Quickbooks and only use it because they always have.)

Our management companies want us to have fewer accounts for their convenience
but this is our budget and each line may be overseen by a different person.
Under the Community Team, for example, there is a line for CHIP or Common House
Interiors. I’m point person and that is our budgeted amount. Having our own
budget line helps me keep track of things. If the items were treated
traditionally, those expenses would be split between several different accounts
— furniture, maintenance, contracted services, kitchen supplies, etc. A
nightmare for me.

We also have budget lines that one person oversees to ensure that bills are
paid and contracts updated properly. All services related to internet, for
example, are handled by one person because he also looks for lowest rates and
renewals of domains, etc. We don’t automatically renew at whatever rates the
service charges us.

This is an excellent project and will be very helpful to new new communities.
Our pre-move-in budget was far to low and condo fees had to be increased 66%
over the next few years. A crunch for some residents. Good financial management
keeps the community affordable.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines