Re: While we're on the subject of accounting . . .
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 06:08:51 -0700 (PDT)
Wow.  You’ve just animated one of the most critical of issues, not just for
cohousing, but for social and political life in general:  What’s a fair
distribution of common costs and benefits?

At this point, many kinds of replies are possible, but I’m going to gallop past
a lot of the detail, and try getting to the bottom lines.  I will make some
assertions ...
      (1) Property operations and maintenance will use up most of your communal
resources.  Levels of quality are always debatable, but in general, everyone is
in favor of keeping the heat on and the water out.  Operations and maintenance
should become routine, and require little year-to-year psychic energy.  Payment
for O&M will be made according to the formulas in your documents.
      But and however …
      (2) Operations and maintenance of community life, character, spirit and
values is separate from property upkeep.  It requires both time and money
investments on a regular basis.  Sometimes dividing up the costs and benefits
seems arguable.  I suggest several principles:
      (3) Keep in mind that, as a community, you are convened for purpose of
helping each other get what s//he wants.  Nobody gets everything, but everybody
gets something, at least sometimes.  That’s the whole point.
      (4) No accounting system (and no human community) will ever perfectly
balance time and money in, benefits out.  Don’t try for an exact, quantified
equalization.
      (5) Shun, as much as possible, privatized buying clubs with
sub-memberships of participants.  If you’re going for communal Internet, it
should benefit everyone, and everyone should pay — otherwise, it’s not communal.
      (6) Shun, as much as possible, pay-per-use for members.  Pay-per-meal is
probably inevitable, but pay-per-use does not necessarily apply to the common
laundry machines.  Watch out that you don’t end up with paid access to the
exercise room, or pay toilets.
      (7) Some members may seem very resistant to “optional” common expense,
and seem resentful of the contributions of time and money required to sustain
the community.  They may argue they don’t use, need or want many or most of the
putative benefits.  Well, OK, but that might leave me wondering if these people
are really good candidates for cohousing …

Let’s see where this thread goes next.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing