Re: mall turned into apartment complex
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 08:49:04 -0700 (PDT)
Buildings with a narrow dimension greater than 50-55 feet have an inadequate
ratio of window opportunity to floor plan area, and do not convert efficiently
to residential use.  Mall site plans are designed for peak parking at
Christmas, not for residential livability, nor for the communal principles of
cohousing proximities.  There are other reasons why contemporary retail
construction will resist turning into cost-effective apartments.  Surely
exceptions are findable, but I am not picturing abandoned malls as a great
housing resource.  On the other hand, mall shells represent some of the
cheapest construction available, so tearing them down is not a great cost or
waste.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing