Re: Shared survey: what does your community use?
From: Corey (corey.birnbaumgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 20:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Sharon! I've been working on this survey with some people for a
couple months already, but that only got me so far. I don't think there's
such a thing as a completely unbiased survey that's 100% clear to everyone,
but we tried our best. I agree that we can use these results to create a
better iteration in the future.

Your feedback is fantastic, I really appreciate the time you took to help
me out with this! Those questions you mentioned have actually been serving
their purpose pretty well, since I am aware of the issues you mentioned and
it seems the people who have taken the survey also get the questions. I was
careful to say "you personally" versus "your IC" and most people caught on
to that. When I say "your IC" I mean the combined effort of all the members
and I have no idea how to make that more clear--I'd appreciate any thoughts
on how to improve that if it isn't clear to you.

I'm incredibly interested in hearing more of your thoughts on Association
Voice and more detailed info on how that works. I hope you don't mind a
private email coming your way about that soon. I'm not sure how much I
should flood this list...

---

Hey Sean, thanks for chiming in! I'm really sorry if I came across as
trying to put words into your mouth, that was not my intention. As a
developer, I wanted everyone to know that any app and especially
specialized services are not free precisely because of what you
mentioned--time. We can't afford to work full-time while also
sufficiently supporting our passion on the side. Hosting is pretty cheap
(still not free!), but developing new features, fixing bugs, and answering
support requests take an enormous amount of time (if we let it), and that's
the main problem. I really want our apps to succeed, but the only way to
give them the attention they deserve is to be paid to work on them
full-time. That's my opinion at least! I understand situations differ.

Regarding the name, keep in mind that "google-ability" is pretty important,
so try to pick something that a) won't get you sued and b) is easy to find
with a quick google (ie not much competition). I'm really impressed with
the improvements you've been making to Mosaic and I look forward to
watching it evolve further.

//corey