Re: Shared survey: what does your community use?
From: Tom Smyth (tomtomsmyth.ca)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 05:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
I want to chime in here and elaborate on what Corey said so eloquently
about paid software.

Sassafras intends to offer Gather with an initial trial period followed by
a monthly, sliding scale subscription fee.

Currently Gather is a passion project just like Mosaic. I love working on
it -- it's my happy place. But I am also a dad and an active community
member and a worker-owner at a young co-op, and so as you can imagine it's
hard to find time to do 1. bug fixing, 2. support, and finally 3. new
feature development.

This is super frustrating because there are so many great features in the
backlog and roadmap that would add a lot of value to the community. I just
don't have time to build them.

And here's the thing: *cohousing needs and deserves its own software*. It's
a unique thing. Condo software or other off-the-shelf tools just won't cut
it. Condos don't have meals programs or shared work systems or consensus
decision making or lots of shared resources or etc. etc. These things are
what make cohousing great and they are all ripe for software support.

I would also argue that having good software available also makes it easier
for cohousing to grow. Obviously the biggest barrier is obtaining capital,
but having a lot of the logistics of running a community already taken care
of is a big hurdle out of the way. Do the next 1,000 cohousing communities
need to re-invent the wheel in figuring out how to run their meals program
and handle reservations for the common house and where to store their files
and how to communicate electronically? Is there any benefit in them doing
so? I think not. Their time is better spent on things that software can't
do, like building community cohesion and arguing over pet policies :)

And if you're with me so far, and if we're talking about that kind of
scale, I just don't think hobby-built software is going to be able to keep
up. Sorry Sean, I disagree with you here. You said yourself that you have
way more ideas than time. Well here's the thing: the cohousing world
deserves to see those ideas put into practice! That's what money is for!

You may be thinking of various famous software products that are zero-cost,
and those are great and there are lots of different economic models to
support free software, but none of them apply to the niche market of
cohousing. It's a fascinating subject, truly one of the great movements of
our time, and I'd be happy to discuss this further with those that are
interested but I don't want to digress too far here.

Please note that paid software doesn't have to be closed-source or
proprietary. Gather and Mosaic are both open source projects. If you ever
don't like where Gather is going you can fork it and do your own thing, and
your data won't be locked away. The Gather subscription fee will not be a
rent (i.e. free money based solely on ownership of intellectual property).
It will cover support and eventually, if enough people sign up, it will
begin to cover development time. (Fingers crossed!)

In fact, we'd like to eventually explore a cooperative ownership structure
where subscribers would be part owners of the business and have direct
input into the feature roadmap. This model is sometimes known as platform
cooperativism and is a really exciting new concept in the cooperative
movement. Check it out if you have some time to spare.

And for those curious about Gather, stay tuned. I'll be making an
announcement soon.

Thanks all for a great discussion!