Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 07:01:04 -0700 (PDT)
I don’t want to bog down in a Stats War, but it’s worth keeping in mind that
homeowners and homebuyers are not a particularly well-diversified group to
begin with.  For owners/buyers generally, household income and wealth,
educational attainment and whiteness are all well above the national averages.
Cohousing looks to run a little higher than the averages for owner/buyers, but
its not fair to conclude that cohousing is a recidivist bastion of elitism
within a nation that has otherwise solved its diversity problem.

As for the Democrat thing …

I’m going to stick my neck out, and speculate that the average Democrat trends
toward greater comfort with a socialized socioeconomic model, and the average
Republican trends toward greater comfort with a privatized socioeconomic model.
 If I’m right about this, then we should not be surprised to learn that
Democrats are more likely to find their way to a cohousing community.  Viewed
through this lens, then perhaps we should be surprised that the Democratic
percentage is so low.

So I think article’s title, “Cohousing’s Diversity Problem”, is misleading.
Nor would I conclude that cheapening construction will ever successfully
compensate for the problems created by an economy that sustains and promotes
extreme inequality.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing