Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:00 AM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I don’t want to bog down in a Stats War, but it’s worth keeping in mind that
> homeowners and homebuyers are not a particularly well-diversified group to
> begin with.  For owners/buyers generally, household income and wealth,
> educational attainment and whiteness are all well above the national
> averages.  Cohousing looks to run a little higher than the averages for
> owner/buyers, but its not fair to conclude that cohousing is a recidivist
> bastion of elitism within a nation that has otherwise solved its diversity
> problem.

I totally agree. There are also other measures of diversity that are more
important than skin color, which is what is being measured. And skin color
doesn’t ensure diversity at all. Our darker skinned residents are not more
diverse than the rest of us.

Takoma Village, for example, has successfully mixed socio-economic diversity,
partly by mixing small 1 bedroom units with large 4 bedroom units. Some
residents are independently wealthy and others live just getting by and are
often unemployed or partially employed. Some have chosen low income in order to
do peace work, for example. Others take a month long tour of Europe every
summer. We have had members of the military (now retired) which shocks some
people. We have people who grew up very poor and others who had very privileged
lives. A mix of introverts and extroverts—extremes on both ends. We have a wide
range of ages though it shifts as babies grow into toddlers, teenagers, and
college bound. And others become subject to chronic conditions and die.

It is definitely true that we are college educated and politically liberal, and
in our case, like to live in cities. Many love the theater. Others watch
motorcycle races and boxing matches. (I’m using the plural out of habit to
avoid pinpointing an individual. We’ve only had one person who watched boxing
and was stunned that he couldn’t find others to watch the “match of the
century” with him.

There is a concern that cohousing is veering old as communities age. But this
is true in almost all neighborhoods. Everyone ages and dies, and young people
move in. Or artists move in, make the neighborhood exciting, and are edged out
by high end development — like Soho in lower Manhattan where moguls, movie
stars, designer clothing stores, Apple stores, Trump hotels, and alternative
museums replace the artists.

What the article didn’t say about those who don’t identify Democrat is what the
others identify as independent, not Republican. (Did anyone identify that lone
Republican out there?)

I spent my teen years in the neighborhood my mother grew up in. It was no more
diverse with several houses lived in by the same families she grew up with.
They all attended the same high school and at 70 still remember who was a year
behind me or two years ahead. Some religious and others not but they thought
they should be.

Cohousing needs to be measured by normal, not unique. It’s the normal we lost
in our transient 20th century lives that cohousing returns. Even the functions
of the CH were present in my childhood neighborhoods in the form of churches,
schools, and parks. Church basements looked very much like CH dining rooms.
Catholics even danced and drank in theirs — Protestants normally don’t.

> So I think article’s title, “Cohousing’s Diversity Problem”, is misleading.
> Nor would I conclude that cheapening construction will ever successfully
> compensate for the problems created by an economy that sustains and promotes
> extreme inequality.

I agree. Cheaper construction will lead to the same kind of diversity that we
have. People who can afford less expensive houses will live in them. People
want to live with “people like me.” The skin color thing, i think, is only to
make diversity look like diversity. Other kinds of diversity don’t show.

I watched a group in DC that began as targeted at low wage government workers
who wanted out of projects and homes large enough to have children, change as
middle class members joined. The middle class assured the low-wage workers that
they were more than welcome and they would be protected. There would still be
affordable units.

That’s now what they wanted. They didn’t want to live with money, with people
who in their eyes were rich. Or have their children raised with those
expectations. They didn’t want to be welcome. They wanted theirs. First the low
income people dropped out, and then the group fell apart. Largely because
liberal white middle class members wanted to “solve racial issues.” The
relatively large number of black households just wanted to get away from
resolving or even discussing it. Particularly not at home.

I think the diversity problem is that we don’t have a meaningful definition of
diversity. Or a realistic understanding of why a neighborhood is a neighborhood.

I was struck by the buildings in a neighborhood in Maryland on the Eastern
Shore. Probably built in the 19th century, the houses alternated by street with
large houses on one street and smaller houses on the next — significantly
smaller. The large houses housed white people and formed white neighborhoods,
and the small houses housed black people and formed the black neighborhoods.
Both societies probably mixed more than our rich and poor do, but they also
mixed with a power and privilege always foremost. Was that one diverse
neighborhood? Or was it two neighborhoods-- literally side by side and
intertwined--in which people lived and felt like equals?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC