Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 05:40:57 -0700 (PDT)
Resales have not produced diversity in our urban community which is in a city
more than 50% non-white.

In a hot real estate market where the prices are exceeding rationality… Who can
afford to buy? Usually senior single women.  They inherit money through the
death of their spouse, or through divorce or if they were single they
accumulated money through a career or more likely they sold a house in which
they had a great deal of equity.  Or some combination of all of the above.

At Takoma Village in Washington DC we could easily become a community of OWLs:
Old White - haired Ladies.

Our house prices at the current market rate are completely abnormal.  Six of
our resales have gone to senior white women.  Two are just under 60 years old.
The others are in their late 60s or early 70s with one of them 77.   They're
all great people and very active in the community. But if we want diversity we
are not getting it through resales. That's my point.

Sent from my iPhone
All typos ... curtesy of Siri  :-)