Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 07:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
I can't speak for Alan but I will say that each time racial diversity
comes up we (cohousers on this list) move quickly to "but these
primarily white communities have lots of other diversity". Which is
completely true.

But we certainly won't attract racial diversity if to live here is to
live with people who defend our racial self-segregation in that way.

We *could* start with..."Yes, its true, we do not have racial
diversity." And then get out, join groups that include significant
people of color, and then get to know some of those people and as we
develop friendships we could then engage in discussions as to what we
could do differently. Its an eleven year plan, which I realize is not
very exciting.

-Liz