Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 163, Issue 16
From: Crystal Farmer (crystalbyrdfarmergmail.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 08:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
Quote:

We *could* start with..."Yes, its true, we do not have racial
diversity." And then get out, join groups that include significant
people of color, and then get to know some of those people and as we
develop friendships we could then engage in discussions as to what we
could do differently. Its an eleven year plan, which I realize is not
very exciting.

-Liz

Liz's example is exactly what is needed. The fact that many people across
the spectrum are interested in cohousing, but only a certain segment
invests in it, shows that there is a problem. It takes talking to people of
color to understand what they need.

Let me also bring in the history of redlining and housing segregation.
Neighborhoods are literally split up by color, where families were
discouraged from buying in an area that didn't match their race. Realtors
may not be saying it out loud now, but evidence shows they still show bias
in the homes they show to families. So unless cohousing neighborhoods are
planning to build in a mixed community, they are not even attracting
non-white residents. Barb's point about advertising in other cultural areas
is important too. If your network only includes people like you---that's
who's going to come to the meetings.

And I'll reinforce the fact that no person of color wants to volunteer to
be the "diversity" in any community.

Crystal Farmer