Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 04:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
Crystal Farmer <crystalbyrdfarmer [at] gmail.com>
after deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

Research shows that kids growing up in racially and economically diverse
neighborhoods do better in life than those who grow up in segregated areas.

I think it's interesting that Sharon thinks her son would be miserable in
her community. I can imagine it's more difficult to live with people who
have different politics, but wouldn't those respectful discussions make
life richer? Not if he's the only Republican, but maybe if he had a group
of moderate friends. What's wrong with attracting that kind of diversity?

I understand the desire to look at other markers of diversity, but race is
easy. Black people, even internationally, identify as so. It's ridiculous
to assume they don't want cohousing when they aren't even represented in
the movement. A community with racial diversity will have amazing cultural
diversity as well.

Crystal Farmer
Sorry Fred I'm on my phone.