Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 13, 2017, at 7:43 AM, Fred-List manager <fholson [at] cohousing.org>
> wrote:

> I think it's interesting that Sharon thinks her son would be miserable in
> her community. I can imagine it's more difficult to live with people who
> have different politics, but wouldn't those respectful discussions make
> life richer? Not if he's the only Republican, but maybe if he had a group
> of moderate friends. What's wrong with attracting that kind of diversity?

Look at the issue the other way. Why should he be expected/invited to be your
(editorial “your”) diversity.

Would I join a community of people all of whom were of a different religion,
held political views opposite mine, had different food choices from mine, were
rabid fans of things I abhor, etc.

I think we don’t look at this from the other side. We can only do so much
outreach. Putting a community together with people with those who show up.
Ensuring that we put flyers everywhere, in all neighborhoods is the most that
most communities can accomplish. Then living together is hard even with
accidental diversity.

Cohousing is rubbing elbows much, much more than other neighborhoods. And it
takes a lot of brain space to understand the diversity sitting right in front
of us.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines
If brown, black, yellow, and red, are derogatory, why isn’t white?