Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Tom Smyth (tomtomsmyth.ca)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 19:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
It isn’t an argument about whether it is a thing, but it isn’t the only
thing. Diversity doesn’t equal skin color. And skin color doesn’t equal
diversity.

I agree. And racial diversity need not be the only kind we seek. Age
diversity is also a great thing, for example.

I guess my contention is that diversity along any axis of oppression is
important because living amongst people from traditionally oppressed groups
(or perhaps more importantly *getting ourselves to the place where they
might want to live amongst us*) makes us, as privileged people, less likely
to oppress them.

On the other hand, I'm less interested in diversity along axes that don't
equate with oppressions, like favorite color, zodiac sign, conservative vs.
liberal, etc.

So it is not magic that I'm talking about. It's oppression. Certainly you
get lots of cultural bonuses if you achieve racial, age, income, etc.
diversity, but those are not the main driver for me. I hope that helps
clarify my position and, I think, that of a lot of people who value
diversity.