Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Gerald Manata (gmanata2003yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
     The worst case of diversity problems that I have witnessed in cohousing is
along the lines of cultural and subcultural differences. Added to that is good
old American individualism and you have situations that can get quite ugly and
vicious. Consensus democracy is extremely difficult under such
circumstances.The U.S. is not Denmark. You can't just borrow a system from one
culture and add it to another without expecting difficulties.Perhaps this
explains the large turnover in cohousing and the lack of interest in cohousing
among its offspring.
     In a effort to recruit members and sell units, organizers are neglecting
some kind of necessary, serious and lengthy vetting process. Conservative,
bourgeois American types should live in one cohousing complex, for example,
more countercultural, communitarian types should live in another, etc. You
can't get along with your neighbors and practice consensus democracy if you