Re: Checking on Residents Who Live Alone
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 21:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Julie —

Happy to hear you are engaging this issue.

Here’s something one of my neighbors and I do:  we text each other at 7 a.m.
everyday even on vacation if that works out ok.

If one of us doesn’t check in by 8 a.m. we telephone (sometimes we over
sleep!).   By 8:30 a.m. if one of us fails to reply the other one knocks on the
door.  I’ve done that once for my neighbor and he for me.  In both cases each
of us had slept a lot longer than normal.

We’ve been doing this almost a year.  Our early morning texts to each other
have alternately become elaborate, simpler, funny, and topical.  This past week
I’ve been sending text images of eclipses.  We also send jokes.  This takes
about 3 minutes.  Brings a sense of safety and relief knowing someone is keyed
in to my well being … daily.  I recently heard that two other neighbors are now
doing this.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic