Checking on Residents Who Live Alone
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

> On Aug 19, 2017, at 1:05 PM, Julie Gallagher <jgall63 [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does your community have a system for checking on residents who live alone,
> especially older or frail ones?

In general people do this on a personal basis, but we do have a TLC function of
the Community Team. They have a non-recorded few minutes at the end of their
meetings to discuss anyone who might be needing any kind of help. If no one has
stepped up, they will make arrangements, again usually by asking someone who is
close to the person or likes doing that kind of thing. We do have people who
are constitutionally predisposed to immediately help anyone—even in the middle
of the night.

It does help to have a chief communicator who sends information to the
community and is a contact with the family. Then everyone knows what is going
on without peppering the household with questions.

Families either don’t know what to do with relatives in cohousing, or
understandably with someone who is suffering with dementia. From our experience
with one person, it is very important to be honest with the family when you
think the person may be no longer able to function alone. The family may never
see a “spell” and often they come and go.

We also confuse families with our messages. On the one had we say cohousing is
where people can age at home and at the same time we have few supports to
enable them to do so. At some point people may need 24/7 care. Not necessarily
nursing but someone present, just in case.

One of the best things a resident did for us when she discovered she had
terminal cancer was to send a message telling us what kind of care she had
arranged for herself — the lifeline bracelet, car service to chemo, etc. From
family experience, Harriet had covered all the bases except some meals. This
allowed her to die at home with residents and former residents coming into say
goodbye. One of the nicest things was when a former resident who had just had a
baby brought the baby to visit. They had named the baby Harriet. Harriet was
very pleased and asked what her middle name was. The mother said Rose. Harriet
teared up and said that was my mother’s name. A complete coincidence.

Everyone needs this care at one point or another. Frailty has many causes in
all ages. Someone who has been attacked, a child with pneumonia who can’t be
cared for with other children, a broken leg, surgery, a death, etc. The seniors
we think about more, perhaps, because the slide is likely to be terminal.
Others get well more often.

Also see this for guidelines of what to do and not do for ailing residents:

Neighborly Support vs Health Care

http://www.cohousing.org/node/3156

These are very sensible guidelines written originally by one of our members who
was becoming overwhelmed caring for one of our residents. She interviewed a
minister, a nurse, child care provider, and others for common practices and
cautions.

Some of these are for the protection of the care provider. They provide a line
over which caregivers shouldn’t cross. A reason to say no, we need professional
help.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines