Managing garden-to-table gardens
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Marci,
At Ashland Cohousing, we have a community garden of about 4,000 square feet in
a community of 13 homes.  Some of this space is taken up by fruit trees along
the periphery, garden shed and tools, compost bins and delivery area for
imported materials.  We have 10 beds of about 4’ wide by 20’ long.

Although it greatly surprised me, our community decided from the start (10
years ago) that the community garden should be run by whoever was willing to do
it and the produce should be available to anyone who wanted it, but prioritized
for the community meals.  We have revisited and renewed this intention every
few years.  The community pays for all expenses: water, soil amendments, mulch,
tools and seeds.

I have been the “convener” of the Garden Team since the beginning because I
love to garden.  We are all expected to be on two committees or convene one,
but the actual time it takes to do the work of the committees varies greatly.
We also have a chore chart where everyone signs up for tasks for 2 hours/month,
and there are 2-3 people who have put down Garden as their task.  We also have
a Workday once a month, which generally is about 2 hours long and a few people
will get assigned to the garden if I ask for them.  In practice, I spend
uncountable hours on our community garden (average about 1/2 hour per day
during the growing season which is about 7 months here, as well as growing
starts on my windowsills during the winter, and some other people spend a
couple of hours/month either during the workday or doing a few tasks I suggest
if it is their Participation job, or just picking up the slack if I’m out of
town.  Also, people harvest for the community meals.

I emphasize the amount of work involved because this is the most important
issue when you do it together.  No money is exchanged in our community for
garden produce or garden work.  However, those who work in the garden are the
most aware if there is a small amount of something available to eat, and only
the larger production moments are advertised to the community as a whole for
harvest.  We try to do this in a timely manner for meal planning for our
community meals which happen twice a week.  Sometimes we go door to door to
give away produce when there is an abundance as others in the community are not
tuned in to the times when harvesting is needed.

Our committee makes decisions, which really amounts to getting together once a
year to talk about what we want to grow, draw a garden plan and prepare a seed
order.  If someone wants to buy something, they check with me to make sure I
agree about the need and can offer input about their intentions.  We have a
budget for the year, and we haven’t deviated from it much in terms of what it
costs to run the garden.  If we want to do a big project (build something), we
need to plan ahead and request the money during the annual budgeting process.
I contact people who are involved in the garden work when something specific is
needed and ask them if they’re willing to do it.  If not, I ask someone else.
If nobody wants to do it, it goes undone unless I decide to do it myself.
Sometimes the folks who are gardening as their Participation task will ask me
what needs doing when they have some time available.  There is a general sense
in our committee that I do most of the planting, one other person does most of
the weeding, and another keeps their eye on the harvesting.

We have a new member moving in who is reputed to be an avid gardener, and I am
looking forward to a shift away from carrying so much of the responsibility
after 10 years.  However, just to be clear, it is my love of gardening that has
kept the project afloat so far.  As a permaculture teacher, I am motivated to
keep my hand in the activity, to experiment and to eat from the garden.

Hope this helps,
Melanie