Herbicide and Pesticide Policy
From: Mark Thompson (markithompsongmail.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 01:49:46 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings.

I am looking for examples, models, or suggestions related to a community
herbicide and pesticide policy.

Some background:  We are an open air condominium style cohousing.  So each
unit owns the property surrounding their freestanding houses, but their
activities thereon are subject to our bylaws, similar to HOA rules.  We are
surrounded on three sides by a conservation easement, greenbelt, which we
manage.  Recently a new owner, unaware this would be a problem, used
Roundup on his yard.  While retroactively there is little that can be done,
this person now understands our concerns and is actively working to
discover the communities intentions.  He thoroughly read our policies and
agreements, but we never mentioned the use of pesticides and herbicides
there.  There has been on and off again discussions on the topic, but none
has resulted in a policy.
On communal property we use organic gardening practices.  As far as I have
determined they are aligned with national organic standards.  The first
draft of a policy was to apply the same to the units.  This encountered a
number of problems.  For example, trying to make a house resalable when it
has an infestation of rats.  The second draft was little more than be
mindful and responsible, and don't use the listed products or items.  That
doesn't seem sufficient either.

So I am here looking for options.

Thank you for taking the time to consider.

Moose Thompson
Sharingwood Cohousing
Snohomish, WA