Call for Articles: Communities #178: Class, Race, and Privilege
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 04:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

/Communities/magazine is now seeking articles for issue #178, *"Class, Race, and Privilege."*The issue will be out in March 2018.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org by *Monday, September 25, 2017*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, November 17, 2017*.

1. Theme articles:*Class, Race, and Privilege*

 * In your experiences in intentional community, what roles have class,
   race, and/or privilege played in influencing the makeup of your
   community?
 * How have class, race, and/or privilege influenced the relationships
   among members of your community, and/or their relationships with the
   outside world?
 * Does your community make concerted efforts to overcome barriers
   associated with class, race, and privilege in recruiting and
   retaining members?
 * What is your own personal background in these areas? Has intentional
   community expanded, or contracted, your world in terms of
   social/economic classand/or racial diversity among the people in
   your life?
 * Does your community talk about class, race, privilege? What is the
   nature and content of those discussions?
 * What issues do you see associated with class, race,and/or privilege
   in the larger society? How can intentional community address these
   issues?
 * Have you visited or studied contemporary or historical communities
   thattook on issues of class, race, and/or privilege in waysthat
   could serve either as models or as cautionary tales?
 * Have you encountered stereotypes in relation to various types of
   intentional community and race/class/privilege? If so, are those
   stereotypes fair?
 * What can society at large learn from intentional communities, and
   what can intentional communities learn from society at large, in
   relation to race, class, and privilege?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 *

   Creating community in your neighborhood;

 *

   Starting a new community;

 *

   Process and communication issues in community; and

 *

   Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please checkic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check ic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: ic.org/communities-magazine-home."

*IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check ic.org/submissions to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org