Re: question re membership application form
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 06:56:25 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 2, 2017, at 10:35 AM, Maria Martin <mariamartin1 [at] earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> I am part of a newly forming group in Durham, NC.  I searched the archives
> for examples of membership application forms but did not find anything.
> Would anyone be willing to share their membership application form?

My advice is to be careful of this. It send a double message — we are different
and commit to being neighborly and building a community. Please fill out this
form.

Asking for contact information is good. But even that, not too soon. People can
be very tentative when approaching cohousing. They fear real estate scams.
Crazy people. Being overwhelmed with a new project. Fear of wasting precious
time on evenings and weekends.

And fear of being rejected. Am I good enough. “Applications” right off sounds
like an approval process.

People are also likely to unclear exactly what they are looking for or afraid
of saying. So if you ask for more than contact information to be written down,
that’s a barrier you don’t need.

Best to handle this personally. Make your own notes—later.

Think of yourself as approaching a new neighbor. Would you hand them an
application form?

But you might ask or expect to be told their names and perhaps an email or
telephone number. But even then, a name, even a first name would be given in a
first meeting.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines