Re: question re membership application form
From: Cohousing (cohousingmindspring.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 07:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Maria,

Wondering who this new group in Durham is. Are you intending to be
multi-generational or active adult? Urban or suburban? Are you following any
guidelines on attracting folks and any set of steps as you progress?

Although our cohousing group in Raleigh disbanded last month due to inability
to find land in Wake County, we spent 20 months building community and
searching for suitable affordable land. We held potlucks in our homes about
every 3 weeks and had people who attended sign a roster asking for their name,
email and phone number. No one refused (but they could have) and that is how we
built our email distribution list to announce events and pass on interesting
information. People also contacted us from our website adn Facebook page to be
added to the interested email list. We still have our website and Facebook page
up.

We did have a “participation” structure which we created after getting an LLC
and doing the Getting It Built Workshop with Katie McCamant and Chuck Durrett.
It was intended to transition into a formal membership structure once we found
land and committed to purchase it and had to start asking for serious money.
But that did not happen, unfortunately. Some of our people have now joined with
Village Hearth, another forming group in Durham. They are a 55+ coho community.

If you would like to meet or have a phone conversation, I am happy for you to
pick my brain! I feel like I have earned a degree of some kind from all the
work and sweat equity from January 2016 to August 2017 and am happy to share
anything I can.

Kayelily
Raleigh-cohousing.com
(919) 345-4608