Re: Gather Now Available
From: Tom Smyth (tomtomsmyth.ca)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 05:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Chris, I'm ccing Cohousing-L here in case anyone else has the concern
you voiced:

> Looking at https://github.com/sassafrastech/gather it looks like you are
> the only developer. Are there plans to get more people involved? I hesitate
> to use a system with a bus factor of 1.

(For those not familiar with it, "bus factor" refers to the number of
people who would have to be hit by a bus for a project or organization to
be in serious jeopardy.)

Chris, you're correct that I've been the only developer to date, but Gather
is a project of the co-op I work for (Sassafras Tech Collective
<http://sassafras.coop>) and others in the group are familiar with the
code, the tech stack, and the operational setup. We already have a support
structure in place so that others are on call to support the server should
it go down while I'm out of town. The same would be true for the codebase
should I ever encounter the proverbial bus! (Hope not!)

Furthermore, as Gather starts to generate revenue, the plan is for others
at Sassafras to come on board so that development can happen at a faster
clip.

I hope this allays your concerns!

--
Tom Smyth

Worker-Owner, Sassafras Tech Collective
Specializing in innovative, usable tech for social change
sassafras.coop · @sassafrastech