Metal roofing versus shingles
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 11:57:11 -0700 (PDT)
re: "Can you share your specification. Comparable in cost to shingles?!"

I don't do the pricing but I asked the manager who builds almost all of my
plans and here is what he said:

>>>"*I don't have that info really rod since we really never do shingles..*
*but i can tell you that on a new roof, it'll cost less if you choose
purlins and steel over plywood and shingle installed with the guys i'm
using*- "<<<

He had actually just finished an addition (self-contained inlaw apt) I
designed which, as the exception, required a shingle roof to match existing
so he had the one instance to compare.

A couple of notes:
This system does not use standard roof sheathing but relies on the steel
shell of the roof for "racking" strength.
One should also not discount the substantial long term savings generated by
the greater longevity in terms of cost per year of keeping a roof on.

I suspect that working in an area where nobody does steel will probably
lead to higher estimates or even an effort to talk you out of it.

If more details are needed we'll probably find it simpler to talk on the
phone.
Just 'ping' me in an email for a time.

Rod Lambert
EcoVillage at Ithaca