Re: Pie Party
From: Alicia George (ajgeorgeearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 12:41:33 -0700 (PDT)
We celebrate Pi Day every year around March 14 (3.14). It's always a dessert
event, with an assortment of pies, vanilla ice cream, and whipped topping. Easy
to set up and clean up after dinner, and very popular.

In July, one of our neighbors always hosts an Old Tyme Ice Cream Sociale around
his birthday. He hires Ben and Jerry's to bring in a variety of ice creams and
sorbets and numerous sprinkles and other toppings, but it could easily be
handled other ways as well.

Toward the end of summer, we hold a Pesto Festo. We harvest all the basil that
has been growing in people's gardens and planter boxes. One of our residents is
a first-generation Italian American, so she (and several helpers) makes pesto
with the basil and cooks up a mess of pasta. Others bring wine, salads, and
crusty bread, and we all have a feast.

We had a group of folks who liked to eat dinner late. They would periodically
hold themed potlucks under the rubric "Dinner at Eight." Once it was all
comfort foods (meatloaf, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes). Another time it was
breakfast for dinner (pancakes, bacon, eggs). One particularly enjoyable
evening was "Dinner at Haight" where everyone dressed like a hippie and brought
foods that were given ridiculous hippie-themed names. Someone even made a
tie-dye cake!

Alicia George
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC