Re: Metal roofing versus shingles
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 15:10:40 -0700 (PDT)
About six years ago I asked during our reserve study walk around about
replacing our roof with metal. We have some sort of decorative metal now. It is
more expensive but with care should last “forever”.

But the two things he said that I didn’t know is that the new metal roofs are
insulated which both dampens the sound of rain but also is a two for one
purchase. And the metal roofs with ridges, or at least some of them are
designed in the right dimensions for solar panels to be be attached.

On snow falling off, if you’ve been in rural areas you might have seen a
decorative iron spiky things (a technical term) sticking up around the roof
line. Those are to first keep the snow on the roof and when it does fall to
slice up the snow o it doesn’t come off in one sheet. The snow insulates. Think
Eskimo.

I decided to look them up — they are called snow guards

> Snow guards are rooftop devices that allow snow and ice to drop off in small
> amounts or allow snow and ice to melt completely before falling to the
> ground. The installation of snow guards prevents the sudden release of snow
> and ice from a roof, which is known as a roof avalanche. A roof avalanche can
> cause damage to people, pets, cars, landscaping, gutters, plumbing vents,
> lower roof areas, skylights and anything else that might be in the immediate
> area below your roof. Snow guards have been around for hundreds of years and
> have historically been used on slate, tile and metal roofs. The first snow
> guards were actually limbs that were attached to the eaves of a roof, with
> rocks placed atop the limbs, to hold the snow back.

The newer ones fit closer to the surface of the roof.

Google images farmhouses with snow guards.

https://goo.gl/Pt2LmT