Re: Including interested people in the process when they aren't ready to commit financially
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 05:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
On 9/30/2017 11:32 AM, Debbie Fox via Cohousing-L wrote:

My question is:  How have other developing cohousing groups included interested
parties that are not ready to put in money?  Do you include them in the monthly
meetings?  Several people have asked to come to the meetings, but they aren't
ready to commit financially.

We decided early on that we wanted an economically diverse community. So we separated membership in the community (achieved by attending meetings and doing work) from financial commitment to the community. We asked those who could put money in to do so, and that provided enough seed money that we were then able to secure predevelopment loans to pay the bills until we got to the construction financing. Yes, we know who put in how much, and that money will go toward those individuals' home purchases. But we never required that everyone pay equally into the project. Meanwhile, the community grew with people who would not have been able to pay more than our nominal annual organization dues.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner, Connecticut's first cohousing community