Re: Checking in on Santa Rosa cohousers
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Yulupa Cohousing is near the evacuation line but OK last I heard. Similar
for Santa Rosa Creek Commons, which is half a mile further away from the
fires. You can see Yulupa avenue named on many of the Santa Rosa maps, but
the community is not at the north end where the fire is spreading most in
rural areas. As you read the maps, don’t confuse the evacuation lines with
fire lines, much further back.

Some Bay Area cohousing communities are offering guest room space for folks
who lost homes due to fire or who need to get out of the heavy smoke. The
biggest needs I’ve heard the mst about are spaces for families, which
single-bed single-Guestroom communities like ours aren’t well-equipped to
welcome.

Some former creators and residents of East Bay (near San Francisco)
communities who moved North to live solo (not always by choice) have lost
their homes to fire or are preparing to leave at a moment’s notice.

The smoke was briefly tipping air quality in Berkeley/Oakland to
unhealthful levels of particles yesterday but winds shifted and things have
improved, but there is definitely a smoky smell in the air, 100 miles away.

It is a factor here in Berkeley cohousing’s decision-making on furnace
replacement: how much should we expect more wildfires due to climate
change, and so should a design goal be to filter the air well enough for
the Common House to be a refuge when the air outside is not safe to breathe?

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach
Cohousing California
http://www.CalCoho.org/