Re: a slush fund for temporary financial relief
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:18:43 -0700 (PDT)
Rodney Elin wrote:
------------One of the counterpoint discussions was to create a sort of
voluntary "slush fund" to provide residents with short term financial
assistance in a time of need, if someone were to be laid off from work, or if
another resident had an unexpected emergency appliance repair, for example.
------------

Speaking of emergency appliance repairs ... Rodney is writing from my former
community (Hi, Rodney). EVC has geothermal heating and cooling, which is
wonderful in many ways, but the equipment can be extremely expensive to repair.
Several heat pumps failed shortly after the two-year warranty expired and the
homeowners were stuck with $1,000+ repair bills. That could really wreck your
budget.

I had a proposal that never got off the ground, but I still think it was a good
idea -- the community should self-insure the equipment. Say there are 55
dwelling units in the building and a total of 70 heat pumps. Each unit owner
pays $50 per year per heat pump, which puts $3,500 into the self-insurance fund
per year, which then would reimburse members for heat pump repair/replacement.
You would adjust the contribution depending on the repair history for the
equipment and the number of anticipated failures. Not worth it for every
microwave and toaster oven, but maybe something to consider for big-ticket
items.

Katie Henry