Including disabled people in cohousing, especially forming communities
From: Allison Tom (allison.tomtelus.net)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

This is a significant tangent from the discussion on slush funds, but the
spirit of the conversation has moved me to write with my question/topic.

What have communities done to include members who have significant
disabilities?  In particular, has anyone successfully negotiated the challenge
of including disabled people in a forming community?

I ask because I regretfully left a forming community almost two years ago
because of an exhausting chronic health condition.  I’m now on the waiting list
to return to that community, and I’m thinking hard about how I could return
successfully or be part of any other forming community.

My condition makes the frequent marathon meetings of planning an almost
insurmountable challenge.  I believe that living in cohousing is a very
different pace from creating cohousing, and I think that I can contribute and
thrive in a community - with some accommodations to my condition. Joining an
existing community in my city is very difficult because there are so few spots.

I’m a former professor now on medical leave.  I’m self-sufficient and currently
own and maintain my own home (I pay for household and garden help).

What strategies have groups explored or implemented to extend the cohousing
goal of inclusivity to people with various disabilities?

I look forward to hearing from folks with experience or advise on- or off-list.

Thanks, Allison Tom
allison.tom [at] telus.net

NB: I am planning on submitting an article about this to the “Race, class and
privilege” issue of Communities magazine.