Re: a slush fund for temporary financial relief
From: Shawn Barber (srasb1129yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 13:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
We at Eno Commons just addressed this issue with our dues increase discussion.
Our current model follows that people facing financial issues personally
contact our treasurer and make arrangements on their own to deal with
unforeseen shortfalls. With no major issues resulting from this practice.
After our recent reserve study, we found that our current saving amount does
not meet our expected reserve needs. Thus the request to raise dues to fix the
problem. Some in our community are on tight budgets, so the topic of a relief
fund came up. Our solution was to create a fund that those who can and want to
could pay into; knowing that it was going to help a struggling neighbor and
keep us meeting the reserve funding goal. The structure of the plan was to
continue with the current model of requesting aid from the treasurer, but the
fund would be in place so that the person would not be expected to pay
shortfalls back. Each quarter the treasurer would report our status and whether
the fund was meeting the needs or not. Then after nine months (three reports)
we could re-evaluate the plan.
Our community went with an alternative plan that did not include the
implementation of a financial relief fund. But we have it in our parking lot,
for possible need in the future.

I personally support the idea of those who can pay more than is asked are
allowed to balance out those who cannot, in order to keep the community intact.
Each community has to wrestle with values and issues, and determine what works
for the community.
Shawn Svoboda-BarberEno CommonsDurham, NC