Re: hoa dues based on per capita basis? square footage?
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing, long built in Port Townsend WA.
Annual assessement (currently about $1300/yr) is simply per household
(=ownership of a lot). Financial resources do not always line up with house
size. People with money might choose a small house; a large family might have a
large or small home. In my case, I have a large home -- a gift from my late
great father-- but very low income. Assessments only cover common property
(utilities and maintenance of the common house and common parts of the
landscape, for example), common expenses such as liability insurance, and
reserves for eventual replacement of common holdings. Each owner is totally
responsible for their own house and lot, including paying local property tax
which  is based on assessed valuation.

The only exception to the equal payments, besides the assessment relief fund I
recently described, is the annual vegetable garden, which is run like an
in-house CSA, with optional membership.  Payments mainly go for a beloved
neighbor who is a brilliant garden manager. Members (about half our 24
families) get first dibs on the produce, and show up for garden work times. Two
garden shares are also funded for our common meals, so cooks can use garden
harvest produce.

The perennial food crops, such as apples, pears, berries, artichokes, rhubarb,
and asparagus, belong to everyone. Their upkeep is part of the common budget.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org