Re: Including disabled people in cohousing, especially forming communities
From: Catya Belfer (catyapobox.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 04:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
My two cents:  I fall into the "invisible disability" bucket - chronic pain
and fatigue with chemical sensitivity, "fibromyalgia" diagnosis.   I was
much "sicker" / less well controlled when my group was in development
(2000-2009) than I am now.

Disability is a very individual thing - sometimes it's about getting around
the community in a chair or with a walker, sometimes it's using zero VOC
everything, sometimes it's what handles are on the doors, sometimes it's
shorter meetings with more breaks, or what time meetings are, sometimes
it's planning for service dogs in the common house.

My best advice: get involved.  be about how you can contribute TO the
community, not what you can get or what you need FROM it.   Be the one to
research ramps or zero VOC products or to ask for facilitation training or
more manageable meetings / delegation to teams / etc.  Especially in the
forming stage, you can do much of the work regardless of physical ability.

     - cat

Catya Belfer   -  www.catya.org
Cohousing in MA - www.mosaic-commons.org