Thank you! Including disabled people in cohousing, especially forming communities
From: Allison Tom (allison.tomtelus.net)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question about
including disabled people in cohousing. I learned a lot fro the exchanges and
hope that I will be able to write an article that will be accepted by
Communities Magazine and will be of use to others.

I do want to comment briefly, after an exchange with both Catya Belfer and Ann
Zabaldo, about the give/get topic in cohousing.  I know that there are givers
and takers at all points of the ability-disability continuum, and I respect the
importance of communities finding the right balance for the overall welfare of
the group.

As I said to them, I think that it’s a difficult to find the balance between
attracting people who are looking for a place to “get” and being open to
developing accommodation for people who need it in order to be active members
of a community.

I can tell from reading the cohousing literature that attracting so-called
needy people is an ongoing challenge for cohousing.  I was very aware of this
problem and it made it very difficult for me to ask for help because that was
who/how I didn’t want to be.

I’m very aware that my disability (any disability) won’t always be
accommodated, but I do believe that there are things that can be done in early
days that would help.  Open conversation about both needs and limits is
critical.

Thanks to all!

Allison