Insurance for cohousing communities
From: Linda Hobbet (lindahobbeton.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

As a developing community approaching construction we have started thinking about insurance. It was prompted by a question to a member's insurance company about the art studio we plan to build, including a kiln. This prompted an alarmed reaction (honestly, a properly installed electric kiln is not dangerous) and saying we would have to be insured as a business. The plan is for it to be part of our recreational facilities for the members, not a business and we aren't zoned for business. We are also planning a woodworking shop. They will not be in the same building as the common house.

What have other condominium model communities experienced in finding good, hopefully reasonable-priced insurance covering liability, grounds, common facilities, and exteriors? Does any other community have a kiln? What other issues do we need to consider?

Thanks,
Linda Hobbet

--
coho [at] lindahobbet.com