Re: Thank you! Including disabled people in cohousing, especially forming communities
From: Joan Sidney (jssidneysidneyfamily.org)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 06:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
I agree it's important to be included!
Joan

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Allison Tom <allison.tom [at] telus.net>
wrote:

> I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my question
> about including disabled people in cohousing. I learned a lot fro the
> exchanges and hope that I will be able to write an article that will be
> accepted by Communities Magazine and will be of use to others.
>
> I do want to comment briefly, after an exchange with both Catya Belfer and
> Ann Zabaldo, about the give/get topic in cohousing.  I know that there are
> givers and takers at all points of the ability-disability continuum, and I
> respect the importance of communities finding the right balance for the
> overall welfare of the group.
>
> As I said to them, I think that it’s a difficult to find the balance
> between attracting people who are looking for a place to “get” and being
> open to developing accommodation for people who need it in order to be
> active members of a community.
>
> I can tell from reading the cohousing literature that attracting so-called
> needy people is an ongoing challenge for cohousing.  I was very aware of
> this problem and it made it very difficult for me to ask for help because
> that was who/how I didn’t want to be.
>
> I’m very aware that my disability (any disability) won’t always be
> accommodated, but I do believe that there are things that can be done in
> early days that would help.  Open conversation about both needs and limits
> is critical.
>
> Thanks to all!
>
> Allison

Joan Seliger Sidney <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/>
Body of Diminishing Motion
<http://www.joanseligersidney.org/diminishing.html> (CavanKerry), Eric
Hoffer Legacy Finalist 2015
Bereft and Blessed <http://www.joanseligersidney.org/bereft.html>
(Antrimhouse)
Special Research Associate / Writer in Residence
University of Connecticut Center for Judaic Studies and Contemporary Jewish
Life
http://www.joanseligersidney.org