Re: Your community social fabric and HOA dues
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
> On Oct 30, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> -We may still have some conflict between folk who paid full price and
> people who bought the homes after the prices were discounted. (This
> maps with early move-in versus late move-in--over two years, so maybe
> money wasn't the issue?)

Were the units discounted at the beginning and then discounted after 2 years
because the market fell?

We did have trouble with one resident who bought a unit a few years after we
moved in, now gone. We were talking about a transfer fee for those who sell
units. She thought it was unfair of those who got “cheap units” to charge those
who moved in after several years and paid high market prices.

She was totally oblivious of all the work we had done to improve the property
so the units were selling at market rates — as hers did when she moved. Advice:
take pictures the first few months to record the bare ground, toyless green,
and half empty CH. Harder to take pictures of confusion in governance and in
suddenly managing millions of dollars in real estate.

Transfer fees are a hot topic in cohousing but I think there is a strong case
for them. Every time a unit changes hands the community does a lot of work
orienting new members. Supporting them in getting settled. Helping them when
something goes wrong. And us feeling abandoned — not a small consideration.

We now have a very active Resale Pod that does quarterly tours and
orientations, hosts people at social events and at membership and team
meetings. This way people are more aware of what they are choosing and oriented
before they even make a bid. The Pod also works with sellers on brochures,
counseling on showing their unit, etc. They also arrange open houses. The whole
process has gotten down to a schedule — Open house on Sunday, bids due by
Wednesday, responses by Friday. There is no requirement that people be oriented
before placing a bid but it has happened that way. I think the Pod has done
quick orientations and visits to events. We have “an announcement list” and
keep track of who wants a 2BR, 3BR, etc. One couple has started attending
social events in anticipating of being able to bid on a unit that is coming
available in a few months. There is more than one interested party, so we don’t
even have to have an open house.

The Pod explains very clearly that this service is worth 7% of the sales price
which is the rate realtors charge. The money is routinely placed in the Special
Projects/Capital Improvements reserve fund. Requests for the money to be used
for a particular purpose are not binding but respected when we can.  Because of
this, we have a very healthy Special Projects Reserve. We can actually think
about doing some of the things we have talked about doing but have not been
able to do.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines