Re: emergency preparedness
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 09:17:07 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind Cohousing, long-built in Port Townsend WA, has 24 households, in
single-family homes. When we built  our common house, we had a "transfer
switch" wired into the circuit-breaker panel, so we could accomodate use of a
generator if we later chose to do so.

We haven't gotten a generator, though the possibility gets raised from time to
time. It would need to be propane or gas. Gas goes bad and is hazardous.
Equipment needs to be maintained and stored some place.... In a power outage we
still have a gas cookstove and a propane heater at the common house.

We installed a manual water pump alongside the electric one at our agricultural
well, which also has tested ok for drinking. We have a gravity-feed Big Berkey
drinking-water filter with our supplies, as well as some tents, blankets,
tools, first-aid supplies, portable stretcher, plastic sheeting, duct tape etc.

Between our common house pantry and our homes, there is plenty of food.

We have an AED at the common house.

We figure in an emergency like an earthquake other neighbors will likely
gravitate to our common house, and so our stash also includes clipboards,
markers, flashlights, pens and maps, so we can send folks out to check on
places and report back.

We have two amateur radio operators, and recently supplied every household with
a $9 walkie-talkie. We've started a weekly check-in time with the walkie
talkies, to keep aware of how they work.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
ps Quimper Village that recently posted is a brand-new age-55+ cohousing also
in Port Townsend WA, almost within sight of RoseWind, which is also close to
our neighboring Port Townsend EcoVillage.