Re: emergency preparedness
From: Chuck Harrison (cfharrgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:44:36 -0800 (PST)
Our 23-unit community in Seattle is reviewing emergency preparedness  (last
review was about 5 years ago, before I moved in).

At that time a professional standby generator installation looked way too
expensive and complex. In the intervening years we have installed a large
solar panel on the Common House (covers about 120% of annual load). We
haven't yet determined whether battery storage would make any sense.

I think it's worth observing that an emergency generator doesn't have to be
a huge commitment if you are willing to make compromises. 20 years ago I
was living in a rural area with unreliable power and most people had a
consumer grade portable gasoline generator. I tested my generator a couple
of times a year. It handled my fridge and well pump thru a 6 day outage
once. Noisy, but cheap (about $500 IIRC).

Chuck
Duwamish Cohousing
Seattle