Re: Tax implications for collecting money for community dinners
From: Jude Foster (foster.judegmail.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 06:23:26 -0800 (PST)
About the $ for community meals:
For many years, we had the community meals program set up as a “Meal Club”
separated out but within our Quickbooks bookkeeping system.   Participants were
invoiced along with their dues.   But these funds did not count as income, and
did not appear in a budget vs actuals statement.  That is one way to do it.

Just this winter, as our community meals program is shifting to a more flexible
system, we on the Treasury team have asked that the meals be taken out of our
HOA bank accounts altogether.  The coordinator is setting up a separate
checking account.  It will be simple, clean and clear, not tangled into larger
community funds, and those random small meals deposits will be eliminated.  I
am relieved.

Jude
Trillium Hollow, Portland Oregon  - almost 20 years now