Re: Tax implications for collecting money for community dinners
From: Bryan Syverson (bryan.syversonfresnocohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:16:18 -0800 (PST)
We ask cooks to submit their receipts along with a paper sign-up sheet. The
total expenses for the meal are divided up and charged to the diners of
that meal. In an attempt to make it cash-less, a running "tab" is kept
using a database I wrote ages ago (in MS Access!). Once each quarter we add
the charges or credits to the member's "real" QuickBooks account and
attempt to zero everything out. Since there's no "profit", there's no tax
implications - at least none that our accountant has found in the last nine
years.

-Bryan Syverson
La Querencia Fresno Cohousing