Re: Limitation of number of renters question
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 10:13:48 -0800 (PST)
Hello Elliot and all —

You might find this article from 2013 illuminating in re: a condo’s ability to
restrict rentals.  It’s from MA:

https://meeb.com/legal-alets/yes-you-can-restrict-condominium-rentals-but-beware-unintended-consequences/

<https://meeb.com/legal-alets/yes-you-can-restrict-condominium-rentals-but-beware-unintended-consequences/>

The above article has two compelling examples of why some allowances for
renting is advisable if your values include allowing owners avoid foreclosures
and keep their homes.

Since you are from CA ditto this one:

https://www.echo-ca.org/article/hoa-rental-restrictions-laws-and-best-practices
<https://www.echo-ca.org/article/hoa-rental-restrictions-laws-and-best-practices>

And in Washington DC where I live:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/your-condo-probably-has-a-rule-against-renting-your-unit-out-on-airbnb/2017/01/12/74844e78-d41a-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html?utm_term=.d65ab46b873d

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/your-condo-probably-has-a-rule-against-renting-your-unit-out-on-airbnb/2017/01/12/74844e78-d41a-11e6-945a-76f69a399dd5_story.html?utm_term=.d65ab46b873d>

This article notes that FHA imposes restrictions on rentals — if you are FHA
approved or want to be FHA approved for mortgages then rental restrictions
apply.  This article is from 2017.

If your cohousing community is looking to restrict rentals I suggest doing a
Google search to surface info critical to your state.  That will give you the
basic information.  You may or may not need to consult a lawyer.

When crafting your rental restrictions it’s important to be aware of exigent
circumstances.  For instance, a homeowner may be deployed for work to another
district for a short period of time.  A homeowner may need to return home to
care fo elderly parents.  Or, to go back to school.  Or, for financial reasons
that would allow them to keep their home and return to the community if they
get some breathing room.

Takoma Village Cohousing in Washington DC is owner-occupied housing.  We
restrict transient uses for homes e.g. AirBnB.  We restrict the total number of
units that can be rented to 6 of 43.  The rental period is 3 of 9 years (we
have granted 1 year extensions in hardship cases) and the homeowner/landlord
must be returning to live at TVC.

Good luck crafting your policy, Elliot.  Let us know how you fare in this
endeavor.  And reach out again if you have more questions, observations or
challenges.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic