Re: specifying the location of business meetings
From: Chuck Harrison (cfharrgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 22:28:21 -0800 (PST)
I suspect that a specific rule on allowed meeting times and places would be
counterproductive in my community.

Presented with the cited "community need", I would try to turn the
discussion towards an exhortation that committee chairs make a good-faith
effort to accommodate any resident who expresses a desire to attend an
upcoming meeting or to be involved in a particular topic. Lots of
communication can happen outside of meetings, if necessary.

We have many residents with busy irregular schedules, young children, etc.
For this and other reasons our committee system is NOT a well-oiled
machine, and just finding a time when most of the committee members
themselves will attend can be an ongoing struggle. Committee meetings are
almost always in the Common House, and very often in the evening or on the
weekend, but there is no rule about this.

The aspirations expressed in the "community need" are totally valid, but
the proposed actions to support them are rigid and their logic is weak.
What if someone works swing shift, or runs a catering business (we have
both)? The "standard workingman's schedule" doesn't help these residents to
participate. And I have to go into deep speculation mode to guess why
living-room meetings might be poison.

If this person (and perhaps others) feel shut out of a community
decisionmaking process which seems unclear, closed, and untrustworthy,
there is a problem. I'll bet that if a number of people make a bigger
effort at "keeping X in the loop" by communicating more and being affirming
whenever possible, things will improve. Making that effort can be hard if
there are personality conflicts involved, but you have to try. It's part of
being in community.

Just my 2c

Chuck
Duwamish Cohousing, Seattle