Re: question re HOA dues formula and special assessments
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:49:37 -0800 (PST)
Hi Judith!

Agree with Sharon and I would add:  check w/ your lawyer.

Please see below for some clarifications so I can understand what you are
asking.

> On Feb 18, 2018, at 12:38 PM, Judith Lienhard/US/OR/CC via Cohousing-L
> <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
>

> I have  2 legal questions: please pass them on to whomever is most
> knowledgeable about this-
>
> Is it legally allowed to change the formula ( in the Declaration)  for
> assigning HOA dues per home unit at this stage?

What stage are you in exactly?

> For instance in our situation- replace the initial home values with 1

When  you say “replace the initial home values w/ 1”  — do you mean your first
question?  And what home values are you talking about?

> or change the percentage ratio between square footage and equal participation
>  parts?
>

> Question 2: is it legally required to request additional assessments for
> large general projects or repairs using the same formula or could it for
> instance be shared equally among all HOA owners?

For sure ask a lawyer and ask Community Association Inc.  If you are not a
member of this organization it’s a worthwhile one to join!

> What formulas do you use?

What formulas do we use for what?  For special assessments or for HoA dues?

> How do you assess extra assessments?

Takoma Village has never had a special assessment.  Suggest avoiding them like
the plague.

> Has it changed at all over time? Have there been voices to change it?
>
> sending this for Inger Easton at Cascadia Commons, Portland Oregon
>

> Judith Lienhard

Good luck in your research!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic