Re: list of emergency contacts for residents
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:28:05 -0800 (PST)
> Seeking advice on how best to initiate and maintain a list of > emergency
>contacts for residents

This is really, really important, as we found out in my former community when
someone died and we had to contact his family. We did have a good list and we
were able to give the police the contact info. It would have been very
difficult otherwise.
Some people were reluctant to give out their emergency contact info. In a
couple cases, I think it was because their contact was someone else in the
community and they didn't want everyone knowing the seriousness of their
relationship. So we made it clear that the information would be kept
confidential. We put a person known for discretion in charge of collecting the
info and maintaining the file. We announced to the community that a printed
copy of the list would be kept in a sealed envelope in a locked supply closet
that was accessible to only a handful of residents with the right key. This
provided a good mix of security and immediate availability. If you leave the
list on someone's computer, chances are good that person will be at work or out
of town when you need it.
Katie Henry