Re: list of emergency contacts for residents
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:18:40 -0800 (PST)
Hello all —

Here’s a totally different way to do this that avoids the issue of privacy,
access to the info when needed, and the work needed by one or more members to
collect the info.

Mid Atlantic Cohousing is participating in the FILE OF LIFE program for its
member communities. (We’ll be happy to share with everyone!)

http://www.folife.org

File of Life is a NATIONAL program for alerting emergency and 1st responders to
critical information needed during a crisis.  It’s a low-tech pocket device
that attaches by magnet to your refrigerator.  In the pocket there is a medical
information card to be filled out by each person in the household.  Because
this is a national program emergency workers are trained to look on the
refrigerator when they enter a home.  They grab the FoL, read it to assist them
and take the information w/ them to the hospital.

The medical card to fill out covers everything:  contact info, medications,
allergies, etc. etc. etc.

Each person maintains their own information.  No privacy issues. The
information is always accessible on the refrigerator.  No one has to make
repeated requests to individuals to provide information.

But how do you get people to fill out the cards?  One good way is to use this
as an opportunity for some community building.  Do this as an activity either
as part of your regular meeting time or as a fun stand alone get together in
the CH for munchies and filling out the cards.  If you have a risk management
team or a community life team this may a good activity for them to spear head.

You can purchase these in bulk from File of Life.  Min. order 50 @$.89. Comes
w/ 1 card.  Additional cards:  $.10
http://www.folife.org/wp-content/uploads/FOLORD15.pdf

A pack of 5 of these on Amazon costs $15.00 plus $8.95 Shipping (NOT available
via PRIME.)
https://smile.amazon.com/StoreSMART-Medical-Magnetic-refrigerator-cabinets/dp/B003C221H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519151997&sr=8-1&keywords=file+of+life+refrigerator+magnet

MAC has them available for $2.00 per + S&H.   No minimum.  Each one comes w/ 3
medical information cards.  Don’t need all three?  Share w/ a neighbor who has
more household members.  Need extra?  Ask one of your neighbors who has
leftovers.

This is a very good way to get critical information from members into a
nationally recognized program format that never leaves your house.  I hope you
will consider the File of Life program for the members in your community.

If you want to purchase from MAC, please drop me an email and I’ll send you the
ordering and payment information.  We have about 100 of these in stock.

Zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

BTW — File of Life supersedes an older program called VIAL of Life.  Used to
fill out the info, store it in a glass vial which you then put in your freezer.
 You can visualize the complications of an EMT rifling through your freezer
looking for a glass vial w/ your info only to find out the vial had broken and
your info is covered in ice crystals …  Yeah.  They switched to the front of
the refrigerator …

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

As long as you have two or fewer … your ducks are always in a row.  The Covert
Comic