Call for Articles: Communities #180: Networking Communities
From: Communities Editor (editoric.org)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:25:22 -0800 (PST)
Wisdom of Communities Kickstarter Campaign <https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/intentionalcommunity/discover-the-wisdom-of-communities-a-4-volume-book>

(Campaign above finishes February 26)
Additional ways to support /Communities/: _Subscribe <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/subscription/>_●_Give Subscriptions <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/gift-subscription/>_●_Order Back Issues <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/communities-magazine/back-issues/>_●<https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/wisdom-of-communities-volumes-1-2-3-4-complete-set/>_Order /_Wisdom of Communiti_//es/_ <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/wisdom-of-communities-volumes-1-2-3-4-complete-set/> ● _Order /Best of Communities/ <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/best-of-communities/>_●_Donat <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/product/communities-magazine-donation/>e_●_Advertise <https://www.ic.org/community-bookstore/category/advertising/>_●_Sponsor <mailto:editor [at] ic.org?subject=Communities%20magazine%20sponsorship%20info>
_
_
_Hello,

/Communities/magazine is now seeking articles for issue #180, *"Networking Communities."*The issue will be out in September 2018.

Please send your article idea to editor [at] ic.org by *Friday, March 30, 2018*.

Your final article must reach us by *Friday, May 18, 2018*.

1. Theme articles:*Networking Communities*

 * Does your communityinteract with other intentional
   communities--locally, regionally, nationally, globally? If so, how?
 * How are you as a communitarian--and how is your intentional
   community as a whole--connected to the wider communities movement?
 * Are you involved in an organization that networks among or offers
   support or education to intentional communities or cooperative
   groups? What does your group do, and why is it important? How much
   do your values and your work/projects overlap with those of the
   FIC--and can you envision more collaboration?
 * Does your community or group identify with a specific strand within
   the communities movement? (For example, Ecovillage, Cohousing,
   Income-Sharing, Spiritual, Social Justice, etc.) How have you
   attempted to learn from and support groups doing similar things?
 * What have you or your organization learned through your efforts to
   network communities, communitarians, and/or other social change
   groups and activists?
 * In your perception, how interconnected are intentional communities
   and communitarians in the world today? Do you think there is room
   for improvement? If so, what could facilitate that improvement?
 * What services are needed by the communities movement today to help
   it function more effectively? And what services can the communities
   movement offer to benefit the wider world?
 * What kind of networking experiences have you had engaging people in
   person versus on social media? Has one been more effective than the
   other, and/or do they have different kinds of outcomes?
 * Are you involved in a group that studies intentional communities?
   How do you network with othercommunal studies scholars? What can
   communitiarians learn from your networking experiences(even as you
   may be trying to learn from theirs)?
 * Do you or others in your community think it is important to reach
   out and network with other groups, or are you more comfortable
   focusing on your own lives together? How much do members of your
   community see it as part of something much larger, and how much as
   its own separate world?
 * How can more grassroots networking activity happen?And is there a
   role for "top-down" communities movement building?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme for /Communities/.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

 *

   Creating community in your neighborhood;

 *

   Starting a new community;

 *

   Process and communication issues in community; and

 *

   Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please checkic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into /Communities/.Contact Chris Roth at editor [at] ic.org <mailto:editor [at] ic.org>.

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check ic.org/submissions-to-communities-magazine or contact Yulia Zarubina at layout [at] ic.org <mailto:layout [at] ic.org> for our Photo Guidelines.

*I. What "Submitting an Article"**Means.*We will promise to read your article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors about this ahead of time and get their comments, corrections, etc.

*II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time.*Please send the article only when you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines for additional details.)

*III. Publication Rights.*Once your article appears in /Communities/, we own first North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in /Communities/the first time it appears in North America. In addition to appearing in /Communities/, your article may also appear on our website or in future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line saying, "This article first appeared in /Communities: Life in Cooperative Culture/, (date); for further information on /Communities/: ic.org/communities-magazine-home."

*IV. Photos.*If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however, please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can get an illustrator. Please check ic.org/submissions to-communities-magazine or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, /Communities/
editor [at] ic.org