Re: Laundry machines--reducing damaging use of machines
From: Philip Dowds (
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:03:39 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone Cohousing has five washer/dryer pairs — one pair located in each
residential hallway of two different apartment-like buildings.  So these
machines are not centralized in a common house basement, or other
semi-unsupervised area.  Most apartments do not have privatized washer/dryers,
and most of our 9 townhouses DO have their own washer/dryers, although in each
case there are some exceptions.  When we opened up in 2001, most of the
machines were donations from previous residences, but now, most are purchased

Each separate machine load gets logged into a book, and a quarterly usage fee
is charged to each household.  Money collected from these fees is isolated in
the accounting system, and used for repairs or replacements as needed.  At this
point, I’d say we’re buying a new machine every year or so.  Thus far, the
laundry fees collected have been doing a reasonable job of keeping up with
maintenance and replacement, although the most recent evidence is that we could
be falling behind a bit.  The machines show little or no signs of abuse; the
problems are mostly those of ordinary wear and tear over the years.  No service
technician has complained to us about improper use.

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA