Re: car-sharing question
From: Chris Rowe (chrrowe.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 09:45:12 -0800 (PST)
We don't have anything formal set up yet (just 2 households sharing 2 cars)
but I have been researching this and from what I can tell there are 4 main
issues to deal with.

   1. *Ownership* - The choices are to have individuals own the cars vs.
   start a separate entity.
   2. *Insurance* - You need to find an insurance company that will cover
   all the drivers. This is probably the trickiest part but seems like it is
   just a matter of calling them and asking what it would cost.
   3. *Scheduling* - I have been thinking about using the reservations
   feature of Gather http://info.gather.coop/features/
   4. *Usage tracking* - Talking with someone at https://www.carsharevt.org/
   they recommend just using paper/pencil logs in each car. Adding the
   equipment to automate this is not worth the cost at this scale.

There are obviously other issues like where to keep keys, maintenance, etc.
but I think those can all be worked out once these 4 parts are in place.

I have found 2 useful resources that go into more detail if desired

   1.
   https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sharing-car-with-friends-neighbors
   2. https://www.shareable.net/blog/how-to-share-a-car-part-ii
   3.

Hopefully there will be more options like
http://fortune.com/2016/04/08/ford-group-leasing-austin/ in the future to
make this easier.

Chris