Re: car-sharing question
From: Mabel Liang (
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 10:30:44 -0800 (PST)
I remember looking into insurance, but it was some years ago.

The trick was that if money changed hands _or_ if it was a group that
owned the vehicle(s), then the insurance was at a commercial rate, and
much more expensive.

One idea we thought of, but never followed up on, was having the car be
owned by someone and rented out via Turo, formerly
Relay Rides.  It's a car-sharing system where people rent out their
cars, kind of like an AirBnb of cars.  The insurance is provided by them
and they, obviously, take a cut of the revenue.  We figured we could
jigger the scheduling so that it was never used by "outsiders".  This
scheme required one household to put up all the money up front.

-- Mabel :-)

mabel [at]
Mabel Liang

Cornerstone Village Cohousing