Re: car-sharing question (Findhorn)
From: Graham Meltzer (graham.meltzerfindhorn.org)
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 03:40:37 -0800 (PST)
We have a truly wonderful care share scheme at Findhorn. Started with 6
people and 1 car and has grown in about 8 years to over 100 members sharing
15 odd cars, two electric. A true social enterprise success story. Here is
the website: http://www.moraycarshare.com/.
- All booking is online
- We pay a standing charge of about £15 per month which takes care of all
insurance, maintenance, repairs, cleaning, admin costs etc.
- We pay a per mile rate (varies by car type and distance travelled but is
roughly 20p/mile) and a second rate per hour of usage (50p)
- We fill up with fuel if need be when driving about and the cost is
deducted from our monthly bill.
In brief, we just have to pick up the keys and drive. I would not say it's
a particularly cheap way to go; probably the costs are equivalent to
ownership of a medium priced small car. But is is hugely convenient and
stress free. It takes all the hassle out of car ownership. Very seldom is
there no car available to book even at short notice.

Graham Meltzer

Findhorn Foundation
The Park, Findhorn,
Scotland IV36 3TZ